OVERVIEW AND CONTEXT
Founded in early 2016, Chrysalis is an expert consulting practice focused on helping organisations and founders unlock value, manage risk and to innovate. Since its inception, Chrysalis has experienced strong growth and has recently expanded its operations with the launch of Chrysalis Clinical in July 2021.
Chrysalis comprises two business lines:
- Chrysalis Advisory provides Growth and Risk Advisory services to help high growth potential early stage companies/projects commercialise and to support more mature businesses to transform and reach their full potential. Chrysalis also takes investment positions in high growth venture companies.
- Chrysalis Clinical provides specialist research strategy and research governance consulting services to the health and medical research, life-sciences, biotech and medtech industry.
The Chrysalis head office is based in Adelaide, South Australia with a team of experts based across Australia.
Working hours for this role are flexible, and we support and accommodate team members with family/carer responsibilities.
This role is critical to supporting the Managing Partner and team with all aspects of financial and contract planning and execution across the Chrysalis group. There are two primary functions of this role: to lead and support the planning and management of key finance activities, and the development and management of key contracts.
KEY RELATIONSHIPS AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
This role reports to the Managing Partner, Chrysalis, and is key to financial management, planning and reporting; and the development and management of contracts for Chrysalis and Chrysalis portfolio companies. This role will also work closely with a number of key stakeholders including Chrysalis Partners and other team members, suppliers and consulting clients.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Financial management, planning and reporting
- Manage finance operations including cyclical financial planning activities such as budgeting, forecasting, cash flow management, tax preparation and reporting.
- Deliver performance management information and analysis (reporting, dashboards, metrics) to enable Partners to understand performance, pricing, client engagement profitability, utilisation and make informed strategic and tactical business decisions.
- Develop and manage financial monitoring and reporting systems, track division budgets and financial indicators, including billings, accounts receivable and accounts payable; comply with all contract reporting requirements; review all projects’ expenditure; control cash flow.
- Review existing finance and accounting policies and procedures, design, implement and make changes to improve effectiveness, efficiency and controls.
- Work closely with key stakeholders (external accountants, bookkeepers) and the Client Operations team to ensure smooth running of key processes such as client onboarding and invoicing.
Analytics and Modelling
- Conduct financial modelling and budgets for Chrysalis client engagements and conduct analysis to identify areas of risk and growth.
- Prepare 3 way financial models for potential Chrysalis high growth venture portfolio companies in order to inform investment decisions.
Contract Management & Procurement
- Oversee and support Contract Management, including preparation and review of contracts and agreements as required.
- Develop contract management procedures; inform and train project employees and contractors on contractual procedures.
- Ensure compliance with company, client, local and other legal requirements and regulations; review and propose improvements or new contract templates, as required.
- Manage procurement and contract lifecycle, ensuring timely completion of project deliverables and compliance.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate for this role is a commercial, astute finance professional who has worked in a global professional services environment and is looking to build a finance function in a high performing, growing firm.
Specific skills and experience required for this role include:
- Degree qualification in accounting and CA / CPA qualification is required, with a law degree or CIPS being highly desirable.
- Advanced excel / spreadsheet skills with the ability to build 3 way financial models.
- Experience working in a top tier professional services environment, with a clear understanding about the role and importance of the finance function in this environment.
- Strong levels of technology competency with precise attention to detail and ability to effectively pick up and utilise systems, processes and technology.
- Understanding and experience of different types of contracts, agreements and their purpose utilised in a commercial environment.
- Appropriate style of verbal and written communication expected in professional services.
- An understanding of how the research, high education, health and IP commercialisation environment operates in Australia is highly desirable.
- Positive, flexible and optimistic, you are up for a challenge and are ready to embed your knowledge in a purpose driven growing consulting and advisory firm.
- Values driven, your working style and approach to work reflects this and aligns with the Chrysalis values and culture.
- Friendly, approachable manner and demonstrates care and respect for team members and clients.
- Comfortable working flexibly and supporting a team in different States and timezones.
- Understands the importance of fast, responsive service and is comfortable with senior clients across a range of contexts (e.g. tech sector, investment community, medicine and health and medical research).
- Comfortable working in a collaborative team environment and also working autonomously with initiative.
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace we invite candidates of all ages, people with a disability and Indigenous Australians to apply.
The health and wellbeing of our employees is our top priority. We aim to ensure our team is safe and healthy working from the office or at home.